Saturday, March 5, 2005

youth stuff

Driving to the youth event last night in Butler was a blast. We spent some time singing, some time asking questions, and most of all some time trying to figure out if we were following the right car.
Upon arrival we were overwhelmed with the place and the setup. It was unique to say the least. The music was great, when you could hear the lead singer. I never knew how important a lead voice is in following worship. Especially, when you are unfamiliar with all the songs. It was fun to see people you know and meet new people.
We left knowing that we had been in the presence of God. However, we turned to our next task with a similar zeal, we were in search of food. Of course, with 7 people in the van, we had 7 different ideas of places to stop and eat. I (Joe) wanted Krispy Kreme. I could see that HOT NOW sign in my mind. However, students cannot ever agree with the youth minister so everyone had to ring in. That meant a lengthy discussion. Finally, Chick-fil-a rang out as the answer. Tough break. They were closed when we arrived. So as we traveled further down the road of fast food places, we finally turned to the resturant of kings--"King's Family Resturant."
The students seemed pleased as well as the driver. So we started to settle down, well not really. We must have taken 50 pictures of us eating alone. The waiter was of course rushing around trying to take care of us and others. SO the process was slow, but a lot of fun.
Everything was great. A good night with the best students in the world.
I returned home to wife and child with everyone in tact and an excitement about life again. It was a great time. The hardest part is when Rachel and Carissa do not travel with me. Carissa was asleep when I returned home. It is so hard not being their when she falls asleep. She is so much fun.
Rachel was waiting patiently for me. What a great wife! I am so fortunate to have such a great wife. She really is a blessing. I could not be blessed with a better partner.
Finally some random thoughts from the evening.
--Is it really best to describe your young child sticking their finger in their nose in great detail?
--Do we all have to be doing the same thing to worship the same God? I hate clapping. Hate is rather strong, but I have a real talent for messing up rhythm.
--Is the padiddle game ever going to be something students wear out of playing?
--Why do some students have enough hair for 4 people, and I am bald?
--Should the youth minister simply make decisions on fast food and the students suffer?

My daughter gabbing away at me, so obviously it is time to check out.
Love you all, Love the Lord.
Joe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe - It's Kristen Embry. This post was hilarious - I love your writing style.

I will be sure to read your blog regularly. You can also visit my blog at www.thewife.modblog.com and Mason at www.masonembry.modblog.com. I will warn you that Mason only updates once a month and people get tired of waiting for him. :)

-Kristen