My life was turned upside down on Tuesday. It was the first day that both Rachel and Carissa were ill. I have been around each when they were not feeling well, but having both of them sick at the same time was different.
I know that part of your marriage vows that goes in sickness and in health. It has always been a joy to help take care of my sick child or my sick wife. The difficulty is when they are both sick. You seem to always be challenged as to what to do.
By most standards it was pretty easy. Neither one needed constant attention. Yet, they both needed to be looked after to some extent. Nothing else seemed to matter. I know that for me it was a labor of love. Taking care of your loved ones. Making sure they are okay.
Carissa is especially cuddly when she doesn't feel well. She loves to sit in your lap and rest. In fact, that is one the ways I know she is not feeling well. She does not like to be taken out of your lap. She just wants to be held.
It is ironic how we want God to hold us during the sick parts of our lives. We never want Him to put us down. Yet we constantly feel alone. We are so unsure of ourselves that we feel like God is not there for us. When we know God would not leave us in our time of need. He is constantlywanting to hold us. Like any father would want to hold there sick child. Our Heavenly Father has no less compassion than an earthly father.
I love taking care of my wife also. I am taken care of by her so often in my life that it is infrequently that I get a chance to return the favor. Yet when I do, I feel so much love. That I can finally return unto her some of the care she is always heaping upon me. It is not a contest. You give because you love. Most often we give even though we do not know how much we are giving. It is natural to do so (or at least I hope it is natural for you). Yet you cannot measure how much you gave and how much she gave and then expect compensation. Instead, you give knowing that your love is given in that care that you share.
I am glad that I can give. I am happy to share. I hope that it made her day better. I love both of them. I enjoy being able to meet their needs even more. What a blessing to be the giver?
1 comment:
Now the real question is who is more pitiful when they're sick: Rachel or Carrisa? :)
I know when I'm sick I start acting like a little girl. I just want Mason to take care of me.
Also, what a great correlation between our own sickness and longing after God. I had never thought of it like that, and it's a great way to look at it!
Post a Comment