Sunday, March 6, 2005

Sponsor v Minister

I once again came against the age old question of sponsor versus youth minister. I had an old youth minister friend of mine tell me how awesome it is to be the sponsor. I thought he was crazy at the time. That was because I was the sponsor, and I wanted to become a youth minister. Yet yesterday reminded me of that wisdom yet again.
We had a great day of working on letters of support for our mission trip. As a youth minster it was cool. Yet the entire afternoon I seemed to be in the other room when something cool was going on. You always seem to catch that as a minister. You are so busy with responsibilities, that as you are in the other room to get something done, everyone is laughing away. Then you step in the rooom and bam the fun is over. Not completely, but you have missed the moment.
On the other hand, serving is so cool also. I mean really helping people. I think I was able to talk to some people yesterday and really help them out. That has not been happening as much as I would have liked since I became a minister. As a sponsor I was the fun guy that liked to listen, or something like that. You always had fun. Great conversations just seemed to flow. Somehow that seems fewer and farther between as the minister. Maybe it just is a different situation. Who knows? It just seems to happen less often.
So, you continue to wrestle with your thoughts. Was I a better sponsor? Am I just remembering the past with a greater fondness than it deserved? I just have to continue to trust that God is using me for the best even when I feel like it isn't.
A couple of random thoughts for today.
--Isn't infectious laughing the best? You know one silly laugh kicking off another, and so on.
--As a youth minister isn't it great when the kids refer to you as "untrustworthy" and a "liar" in one day.
--You know that the only time you have to really change a diaper is just when you are in a hurry to leave.
--Their is no more fun than sitting around and holding your child and your wife. Getting a kiss from one or both.
--You look at your child and realize that she has some gotten some great traits from you, but also some stinky ones--like sweaty feet.
--You ever notice that the people that have the most advice about raising children have had such a hard time raising their own.
Love In Christ,
Joe

No comments: