Friday, April 8, 2005

Dealing with it

I have spent the week dealing with some things that have bothered me from my past. It really all started with the Illini loss on Monday. I really took it hard. I couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain. Being a sports fan, especially a Cubs fan, I have learned to handle disappointment in quite a few ways. Yet somehow this loss hurt me more than most. I was stunned to realize just how much.
I have also been reading The Emotionally Healthy Church. It really talks about how our health depending on dealing with issues, not pushing them aside. I really found myself looking at some other past problems. I was amazed at how much things had been suppressed. I took a really good look at things and found myself feeling the pain in different areas. It just was released through the Illini loss.
I have spent the week dealing with my shortcomings. The difficulties of not dealing with issues, and most of all I realized that I have to face some serious problems. It was great to talk to my good friend Nathan Reed about them. He really is a blessing. I hope you have someone you can share your feelings with. Someone that really listens and helps.
It is easier to think about other things. It is so much easier to think about my little girl, our child that is on the way, my loving wife. These are the things I like to deal with. They are easier. They do not cause as much pain. Yet as I work through the pain, I have had a much better week. My life is changing. I am glad, but I would still rather avoid the pain. The pain helped me grow. Deal with it.

Some thoughts.
--Why do dirty diapers happen when your wife has left for class?
--Why do kids always reach for the most dangerous thing they can find?
--It always amazes me that we spend so much time searching for relationships that are hard or difficult. We usually are surrounded by so many loving and caring people. Yet, they are not the ones we choose, we tend to seek after that which we cannot have. Maybe we are like the children reaching for the most dangerous thing we can find.
--I hate difficult conversations. Yet they tend to be the best. We often avoid the tough question, but if we actually discussed them more often, we might enjoy are converstaions more. At least they would be more real.
I hope you enjoy your week,
In Christ,
Joe

1 comment:

Lowery said...

And so now I'm two for two on being number two:

Sox beat the Cards...
UNC beats the Illini...

Rough year. But at least the Bulls made the playoffs.