Thursday, May 5, 2005

Scent or Sound

It is said that scent has the strongest memories related to it. However, I would like to counter that with a word from the Sound department. I am sitting here listening to whatever is playing on the radio. I have heard Men at Work--Be Good Johnny, Rick Springfield--Jessie's Girl, and now the Walk this Way by RUN DMC & Aerosmith. These songs return me to a time and a place that belongs in yesterday. I can still remember my first Record--> Cheap Trick. I won it in a music contest at my school. I remember the Men at Work cassette and finally seeing a video with Steven Tyler in it. These all bring a flood of memories back. I cannot tell you how awesome it is.
Sure their are some scents I will never forget. Grandma's laundry scent--each time you would pick up a towel and smell that scent. Maybe it is smell of your mom's purfume, or even worse your dad's cologne. Man dad had some real Old Spice moments. I remember them all. Yet the music seems to connect with me even more. I can remember those one hit wonders that screached out some awesome power ballads. I remember how I associated emotions with those songs. I also remember associating relationships with certain songs. I cannot listen to "We Built This City" without remembering Debbie. She loved to play that song over and over again. My mother always listened to Charlie Pride, My dad listened to Roy Clark Live, My sister wore out her Stairway to Heaven album. My Brother Tom listened to the Cars and Billy Joel.
Their tastes have changed over the years. At least my families has, I hope Debbie's has also. Still, I remember them everytime I hear a certain song. Right now the song "Tricky" is playing. My brother Tim thought this rocked for such a long time. Tim has moved through many different sounds. Still, we can put together songs, people and emotions. Sure scent can do that, but I have more memories with music than I do with scent.
Sounds--family, friends, and more all come rolled up with that song on the radio.
In Christ,
Joe

No comments: