Thursday, September 22, 2005

Random Thoughts

It's been a whirlwind month...We start so slowly trying to ease back into the swing of things with school starting. Then all of a sudden there are football games, track meets, and all the other things that come with the beginning of the school year. I sometimes miss the chaos of work, but then I think to myself, how could I do it all?!?! I'm so happy that some people can, but man I'd be beat...

We returned from our annual Brown County trip a day late and a dollar short--well not really thanks to my Dad and his talking about the "warranty" on our new tires...We were leaving Nashville, Indiana on Sunday afternoon and I noticed this loud tire noise. About that time a huge camper went sailing by so I assumed that it was coming from that. Then I noticed that my side of the car was shaking a little bit more than it really should be. Sure enough, upon pulling over to examine the problem, we discovered a flat, VERY flat, tire. We called AAA, because we pay for and we should try to stay in contact with them when we can, and they said it would be a guaranteed time of 2 HOURS!!! So, Joe thought if he could get the spare on in less time than that, he could call and cancel the request. After unloading a fully packed trunk, we had to try to figure out how to remove the jack that was practically bolted to the inside of the car. Are these so valuable that they need that much of a security feature as to not be able to remove them unless you are a body builder? So, needless to say my strong man did remove it and started to get the tire changed. About the time he was 3/4 of the way done, a van pulled up behind us. The guy stated "I'm from AAA and they sent a notice that you had a flat tire." I told him that they had told us 2 hours and he just laughed (definitely not that humorous to Joe). He offered to finish and was done in about 5 minutes. He told us to drive into Walmart in Columbus, IN and see if they could fix the tire and we could be on our way. So, we headed into Columbus and got to Walmart. My Dad, in his infinite wisdom proceeded to tell the guy in the tire department what happened and the guy asks if they are under warranty. "Sure they are," says my Christian Seminary professor father!! He had no clue one way or the other. So, the car was fixed in about a half hour and we were on our way--to sitting traffic on I-65 North. Road construction is a lovely thing, eh? We finally got to the south side of Indy and stopped to eat dinner--or supper for those of you in Illinois. By this point we were all pretty exhausted and we had to decide if we wanted to start our 6+ hour trip back to Pittsburgh or not. We opted not to and stayed at a hotel in Indy. Thankfully we had a great day traveling on Monday and got back home around 4:30. We stopped for dinner then, because unfortunately, I had to do the second gestational diabetes test on Tuesday morning at 7 A.M. So, I couldn't eat anything after 7 P.M. on Monday night. So, to make a short story long, we had a great weekend and then some delays but made it home safely...

We went to my regular doctor's appointment yesterday and everything is fine with the test. We scheduled the C-section for November 22nd--1 day after my birthday, 2 days before Thanksgiving, and 7 days before Carissa's birthday. Hopefully it will be a little earlier than that--it would stink to be in the hospital for Thanksgiving. But on the other hand I'm not a big turkey person, so they could just bring me food later in the day or something...we'll see.

Anyway that was our weekend and trip back. Carissa enjoyed playing with some new friends over the weekend--Micah(4), Rachel(2 weeks older than Carissa) and Benjamin(7). She pretty much followed or played with Micah most of the time. He kept saying her name and vice versa. It was pretty cute!!

Our next mission: October 7th--Fall Campus Challenge in Lincoln and then from there my little brother's wedding on October 14th. I still can't believe how fast the time has gone...

For now I think I'll try to enjoy some laundry washing and folding. As well as some quality time with Carissa...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That is a hilarious road trip story. The fact that AAA laughed at you when they got there makes it even better. :)

Glad you're home safe and sound.